Fiona McIntosh's new historical blockbuster is sure to spark an engaging book club conversation.
From the harsh desert of southern Africa’s Kimberley diamond mine to the misty, green plains of northern England, The Diamond Hunter is a breathtaking adventure story about trust and betrayal, the ultimate quest for truth, and a love that is truly priceless. All the hallmarks of a book club classic.
Discussion points and questions:
- James Knight hopes that a life in Africa will make his young family proud of him. Does it?
- When Clementine is a child, Joseph One-Shoe tells her: ‘Find your strength. It’s always there. It will never fail you if you know where to look.’ Discuss the ways in which Clementine does go on to do exactly that throughout the course of the novel.
- In what other ways does Clementine stay true to her connection with Joseph over the years?
- Clementine believes that ‘there is always room for more compassion in the world.’ How do her actions display this conviction?
- Discuss the significance of the stars in the novel, in particular the Sirius star.
- What does family mean to Clementine, and does that change over time?
- Will is motivated by ‘duty and honour as a man of business’. What other personality traits does Clementine find to admire in him?
- Trust and betrayal are major themes in the novel. In what ways do you see these being explored by the author?
- Discuss the ways in which Clementine might be considered a woman ahead of her times.
- Clementine finds a way to forgive her Uncle Reggie. Do you? Deep down, do you think he is a good or a bad person?
- The novel features evocative descriptions of its two main settings. If you had to choose, which life would you prefer?
- Do you think this novel has a happy ending? What do you imagine might happen next to our main characters?
A heart-stopping jack Hawksworth novel to read with your book club.
A heart-stopping romantic adventure to read with your book club.
Fiona McIntosh on her colourful childhood in Africa and how this influenced The Diamond Hunter.
We sat down with Fiona McIntosh to hear all about bringing the 1870s to life in The Diamond Hunter.
Take this fun quiz to find out which crime novel you should read this summer.
Perfect book pairings to give loved ones this holiday season.
Check out our top-selling fiction books this year.
Find the perfect book based on the blooms she already loves.
Love audiobooks? They’re even better with extra content! Check out some of the audiobooks that include exclusive recorded content for even more enjoyment.
Join us as we travel back in time through 2022 with the authors that hit the road this year.
Detective stories have been around for over a century, but their popularity persists. Find out who wrote the first detective story and discover a new novel for your ‘must read’ list.
A look inside of Fiona McIntosh's tour for her new book, The Orphans.