A heart-stopping romantic adventure to read with your book club.
Under the clamour of the construction of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Grace Fairweather works in her father’s grocery shop in The Rocks. While she takes pride in the family business, Grace has always had a dream of her own: to open a sweetshop where she can sell her toffees lollies and chocolates.
When the roguish but irresistible Londoner, Alfie Sweeting, comes to work for the Fairweathers, his confidence in her ambition propels Grace to make her dreams a reality. Along the way, she will begin to uncover some of Alfie’s darker secrets, but will his seedy past be compelling enough to dampen the feelings she’s beginning to have for him?
Fast, fun and with lovable characters, your whole book club will adore The Sugar Palace.
Discussion points and questions
- The Sugar Palace sounds like a delightful destination. Which of Grace’s creations would be most irresistible to you? Were any of your childhood favourites mentioned?
- Grace’s parents expect her to marry Norman. In what ways would such a union have changed the course of Grace’s life? Do you think he was ever really a likely suitor?
- ‘What’s life without some risk?’ Grace asks her mother after being warned that Alfie is a dreamer. Do you think Alfie’s wins are worth the risks when he is gambling with others’ futures?
- When Grace discovers what Alfie has really been up to under the cover of her sweets business, she is furious but she gives him another chance. Do you think she made the right decision?
- Alfie is determined to make sure Holly doesn’t have to work in the brothel as she’s destined to. Does Alfie have any other qualities that you admire?
- In what ways do Grace and Alfie make such a successful team in business, and in life?
- How do the characters of Grace and Alfie change throughout the novel?
- Do you think George Dooley made his own destiny?
- Tilly Devine and May Smith were formidable true characters from the era. Discuss the ways in which women’s lives and choices back then were different to today.
- Who would you cast in the roles of Grace, Alfie, Holly and Tilly in a screen adaptation of The Sugar Palace?
- Did you spot a character from one of Fiona’s other novels visiting the Sugar Palace?
- Have you ever visited any of the real-life settings from one of Fiona McIntosh’s novels?
At once tragic and triumphant, The Orphans is an unforgettable story about a unique bond between two children that is perfect for book club discussions.
Find the perfect book based on the blooms she already loves.
Love audiobooks? They’re even better with extra content! Check out some of the audiobooks that include exclusive recorded content for even more enjoyment.
Join us as we travel back in time through 2022 with the authors that hit the road this year.
Detective stories have been around for over a century, but their popularity persists. Find out who wrote the first detective story and discover a new novel for your ‘must read’ list.
A look inside of Fiona McIntosh's tour for her new book, The Orphans.
Bestselling author, Fiona McIntosh, shares her scrumptious recipe for these simple sweets with us.
From fantastically funny rom-coms to straightforward self-help, these are some of the best books of 2022.
Listen to the Unscripted podcast episode where this author tells-all about her upcoming release.
Fiona McIntosh talks about staying regimented during lockdown, the surprising catharsis of writing The Orphans, and her infamous research process.
An intro to the bourgeoning genre of outback noir.
The much-loved author chats to us about researching The Spy's Wife on the cusp of the pandemic starting, studying 1930s German history and baking cherry cakes.