Much loved author Fiona McIntosh is back with an historical adventure to enjoy with your book club.
From the windswept moors of the Yorkshire dales to the noisy beer halls of Munich and grand country estates in the picture-book Bavarian mountains, this is a lively and high-stakes thriller that will keep you second-guessing until the very end.
Settle in with a cuppa and a sweet treat, then use the questions below to get the conversation started at your next book club meeting.
Discussion points and questions:
- Evie is a stationmaster’s daughter but what attributes does she possess that can be leveraged to make her a spy?
- Evie makes a number of very bold moves throughout the course of this story. Which act in particular did you think was the boldest of all?
- Did you think Evie was a brave character or a foolhardy one?
- Evie tells Max, ‘Everything about you is a secret.’ Were there any aspects of his life about which he was being true?
- ‘Now that I’m in love, I don’t know how to be out of love with you.’ Can you appreciate Evie’s predicament, or should rational thought override emotion in such a scenario?
- Evie describes her love for Max as intense and frightening. Is this ever a good thing?
- Do you think Evie is convincing in her role as the good wife of the German engineer?
- Evie learns the first lesson in spying: ‘Don’t share information when you don’t have to.’ What other important lessons does she learn about espionage in a time of war?
- Evie and Max are told that ‘no problem’s too great when there is love’. Do you agree?
- Did you sympathise with Max’s motives in becoming a spy for the Germans? Is there anything you would not do for your own child?
- Evie believed that Max withheld the truth from her for all the right reasons. Is there ever a good reason to do so?
- The novel features some stunning picturesque locations. Which have been your favourite settings in this book and other novels by Fiona McIntosh?
A heart-stopping romantic adventure to read with your book club.
At once tragic and triumphant, The Orphans is an unforgettable story about a unique bond between two children that is perfect for book club discussions.
Ponder whether one life is worth more than another with Fiona McIntosh's latest thriller.
Love audiobooks? They’re even better with extra content! Check out some of the audiobooks that include exclusive recorded content for even more enjoyment.
Bestselling author, Fiona McIntosh, shares her scrumptious recipe for these simple sweets with us.
The much-loved author chats to us about researching The Spy's Wife on the cusp of the pandemic starting, studying 1930s German history and baking cherry cakes.
Find the perfect book based on the blooms she already loves.
Join us as we travel back in time through 2022 with the authors that hit the road this year.
Detective stories have been around for over a century, but their popularity persists. Find out who wrote the first detective story and discover a new novel for your ‘must read’ list.
A look inside of Fiona McIntosh's tour for her new book, The Orphans.
From fantastically funny rom-coms to straightforward self-help, these are some of the best books of 2022.
Listen to the Unscripted podcast episode where this author tells-all about her upcoming release.