This profound and moving novel delves into the deeper mysteries of love and loss – and the priceless gift of life. Here are some talking points to get your group discussion started.
Discussion points and questions:
- Discuss the ways in which Gabby’s new heart is a blessing and the ways it is a curse.
- Do you think organ transplant recipients have a ‘duty’ to live their lives in a particular way?
- What are your own views on organ transplantation?
- Did you find it easy to sympathise with Krystal’s point of view?
- What are some of the different forms of family support the characters in this book display?
- How did you feel about Cam at the end of the book compared to the beginning?
- Discuss the ways in which animals are therapeutic for various characters in the novel.
- In what ways are Gabby and Luciano perfect for one another?
- Josephine Moon’s books are often characterised by descriptions of beautiful settings full of colour and sensory detail. In which scenes did you notice this most strongly?
- Do you believe in life after death?
- What do you see as being the central themes of the book?
- Discuss the importance of coffee in this story, and the place of food in general in this novel and others by Josephine Moon.