Escape with your reading group to the sleepy seaside town of Banksia Bay, where all of the inhabitants seem to be hiding something.
Steady yourself for mysteries and secrets in this heartfelt story from Sandie Docker, the bestselling author of The Kookaburra Creek Café and The Cottage at Rosella Cove. Follow Laura, Gigi, Virginia and Lily as they untangle the lies from a chain of events in 1961 that reaches into the future...
Discussion points and questions:
- Gigi and Lily form a very strong bond, despite the differences in their upbringings. What is it that draws them together?
- What is Lily’s motivation for trying to push Todd and Gigi together?
- Gigi doesn’t tell Lily the truth about the night Richard dies. Do you understand her motivation? How would life have been different for Gigi and Lily and Costas if she had?
- Yvonne shows incredible loyalty to Virginia. Where does this loyalty come from? Is it justified?
- How does prejudice influence the events in The Banksia Bay Beach Shack and the characters’ behaviour?
- Discuss the ways in which the events of the novel are indicative of the era. How might things play out differently today?
- ‘Where there’s breath, there’s hope.’ Discuss the importance of hope for both Gigi and Heath.
- Laura applies her rules of journalism to her time in Banksia Bay. Do you think the rules help or hinder her in her search for the truth?
- Heath is worried his condition will change the way Laura feels about him. Is it ever right to keep something from someone you care about?
- ‘Maybe the truth wasn’t just the first casualty of war. Perhaps it was the first casualty of life.’ What does this statement mean?
Get your very own book club off the ground with these tips from The Wattle Island Book Club author.
A story filled with courage, passion and hope to share with your reading group.
Bring your book club together and celebrate the power of human connection with this uplifting novel from Sandie Docker.
A multi-generational Australian saga filled with secrets, heartache and friendship – perfect for book club.
Four authors on penning the many dimensions of love.
Enjoy this decadent chocolate cupcake recipe from The Kookaburra Creek Café.
An uplifting Australian drama from rural midwife and bestselling author Fiona McArthur.
A desert highway. A remote town. A murder that won’t stay hidden.
A timely and uplifting story about the importance of community and connection from much-loved author Barbara Hannay.
Part thriller, part redemptive love story, and sure to be a crowd-pleaser at your next book club meeting.
This heart-stopping thriller set on the rugged coast of Tasmania is an excellent choice for book club.
An award-winning pick for your next book club meeting.