Escape with your reading group to the sleepy seaside town of Banksia Bay, where all of the inhabitants seem to be hiding something.
Steady yourself for mysteries and secrets in this heartfelt story from Sandie Docker, the bestselling author of The Kookaburra Creek Café and The Cottage at Rosella Cove. Follow Laura, Gigi, Virginia and Lily as they untangle the lies from a chain of events in 1961 that reaches into the future...
Discussion points and questions:
- Gigi and Lily form a very strong bond, despite the differences in their upbringings. What is it that draws them together?
- What is Lily’s motivation for trying to push Todd and Gigi together?
- Gigi doesn’t tell Lily the truth about the night Richard dies. Do you understand her motivation? How would life have been different for Gigi and Lily and Costas if she had?
- Yvonne shows incredible loyalty to Virginia. Where does this loyalty come from? Is it justified?
- How does prejudice influence the events in The Banksia Bay Beach Shack and the characters’ behaviour?
- Discuss the ways in which the events of the novel are indicative of the era. How might things play out differently today?
- ‘Where there’s breath, there’s hope.’ Discuss the importance of hope for both Gigi and Heath.
- Laura applies her rules of journalism to her time in Banksia Bay. Do you think the rules help or hinder her in her search for the truth?
- Heath is worried his condition will change the way Laura feels about him. Is it ever right to keep something from someone you care about?
- ‘Maybe the truth wasn’t just the first casualty of war. Perhaps it was the first casualty of life.’ What does this statement mean?
Bring your book club together and celebrate the power of human connection with this uplifting novel from Sandie Docker.
A multi-generational Australian saga filled with secrets, heartache and friendship – perfect for book club.
Four authors on penning the many dimensions of love.
Enjoy this decadent chocolate cupcake recipe from The Kookaburra Creek Café.
Sweep your book club off to Malaysia with this spellbinding novel of war and family betrayal.
A tale of extraordinary friendship and a lifetime of stories to share with your book club pals.
A must-read for book clubs and fans of The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul.
Settle in for a memorable reading group discussion, with Barack Obama’s long-awaited memoirs: A Promised Land.
These friends think they know everything about one another, but time has a way of making us strangers to those we love...
An electrifying and propulsive pick for your next book club meeting.
Gather your book club and find out why everyone is talking about The Last Migration.
Take your literary discussions into new territories – at an appropriate distance.