Bring your book club together and celebrate the power of human connection with this uplifting novel from Sandie Docker.
In this second heart-warming and charming novel from Sandie Docker, three damaged souls meet in a small Australian coastal town and have the chance to rewrite their futures. Welcome to the cottage at Rosella Cove – the place of new beginnings.
Discussion points and questions:
- Do you think Nicky is justified in her desire to start her life over again in a whole new place?
- Nicky believes that Mark loves her ‘in his way’. Is this ever enough?
- Rosella Cove is a tight-knit, supportive community. What are the pros and cons of living in a small town like this?
- In what ways do Ivy and Nicole’s stories mirror each other?
- What does Ivy mean when she says of Lucy: ‘In each other’s company, neither of us need put on the brave face we do with others to protect those around us from our grief’?
- Charlie says, ‘The less you’re seen, the more you see.’ Explain.
- In what ways is the renovation of the cottage physically and symbolically significant to Nicole’s journey?
- At the end of the novel, despite trying to make amends for his past, does Charlie find redemption?
- What is it that finally gives Nicole the strength to say no to Mark?
- Discuss the issue of gaslighting and why we seem to hear more about it these days.
- Danny leaves for Bangladesh, but do you think Nicole and Danny’s relationship will continue?
- What similarities can you find between this novel and the author’s first book, The Kookaburra Creek Café?