Five things Amanda Hampson learned while researching for The French Perfumer.
- The term ‘perfume’ is derived from the Latin ‘fumum’ meaning ‘through smoke’. The fragrant smoke of burned materials was thought to be divine, sending prayers to heaven.
- Perfume was once a privilege of the rich and the cost of materials was irrelevant. From early last century, the decadent and rare raw materials began to be synthesised to make perfume cheaper and therefore more widely available.
- A kilo of the best quality French jasmine comprises five million blossoms and costs around $50,000 – that’s triple the price of gold.
- A perfumer (known as a ‘nose’) is an artist who ‘paints’ with layers of fragrance. It’s a long and involved process with many ‘drafts’ that are put away to be revisited and revised over the development period.
- Perfumers attempt to capture a moment or a feeling. Jacques Guerlain was inspired to create L’Heure Bleue (The Blue Hour) when walking by the Seine one evening. He set out to capture the sense of that twilight hour when ‘the night has not yet found its star’.
Revisit three Amanda Hampson books to experience European summer from the comfort of your living room.
Amanda Hampson recalls her personal journey through reading, journalism and writing fiction.
Escape to the south of France in Amanda Hampson’s world of colour.
Your chance to win an exclusive The Other Bridget Book Pack.
Discover the unofficial Taylor Swift fan journal that’s perfect for memorialising your Eras Tour concert experience.
Learn more about the upcoming Ranger's Apprentice movie and see what fans have to say about it
A heartwarming picture book about kindness by the 2019 Australian of the Year, Dr Richard ‘Harry’ Harris.
Everything you need to know about Masters of the Air before the Apple TV+ miniseries drops.
Subscribers to our newsletter are automatically eligible to win free books every month. Learn more details here.
Check out two books, perfect for fans of The Inheritance games, YA mystery and One of Us is Lying.
Dive in and discover your next adventure with DK.
We caught up with productivity expert Ali Abdaal to get his best advice for smashing our 2024 goals, overcoming challenges and enjoying each step of the process.