This heart-stopping thriller set on the rugged coast of Tasmania is an excellent choice for book club.
With modern-day pirates, family bonds and betrayals, and the hidden dangers that lurk in the deep… Kyle Perry's latest thriller offers plenty to discuss with your reading group pals. Use the questions below to get the conversation started.
Discussion points and questions:
- ‘Never anger the sea.’ Discuss the ways in which the characters in this novel may have angered the sea.
- What role does the Black Wind play in the book?
- What do you think it means to be ‘a good man’, and do you believe Mackerel Dempsey succeeds in his desire to become one?
- Ahab is the only morally decent human in the family. Discuss.
- Did you love Forest, or loathe him? How much responsibility do you think he can take for his own actions?
- Did Shelby go too far in trying to protect her family?
- Discuss the significance of the geographically distinctive setting of the Tasman Peninsula.
- Which scene in the book did you find was the most shocking, and why? Which twist the most surprising?
- What do you think is the moral of this story?
- What thematic similarities did you find between The Deep and Kyle Perry’s previous novel, The Bluffs?
The Bluffs author takes us deep into the Tasmanian wilderness.
A glitteringly dark and unsettling debut that's perfect for book club.
A magnificent literary pick for book club.
Our authors and staff recommend these chilling tales for Halloween.
Everybody is raving about Reese Witherspoon's book club — here are the reasons for its success.
Grab a box of tissues because these books are sure to get the waterworks flowing.
We all want to buy a gift friends and family will love unwrapping this Christmas. Here are five tips for picking a book they'll want to devour.
Can a life without luxury actually be the richest of all?
It's time to let your favourite bookshop know you love them. Here are some simple ways you can celebrate Love Your Bookshop Day.
If you've worn out your favourite song perhaps it's time to switch to an audiobook that matches the mood of your best-loved banger.
The shortlist for the 2021 Booker Prize has been announced, with four Penguin Random House novels named.
Two authors — who are also dads — share their tips on how fathers can get a moment to themselves.