This heart-stopping thriller set on the rugged coast of Tasmania is an excellent choice for book club.
With modern-day pirates, family bonds and betrayals, and the hidden dangers that lurk in the deep… Kyle Perry's latest thriller offers plenty to discuss with your reading group pals. Use the questions below to get the conversation started.
Discussion points and questions:
- ‘Never anger the sea.’ Discuss the ways in which the characters in this novel may have angered the sea.
- What role does the Black Wind play in the book?
- What do you think it means to be ‘a good man’, and do you believe Mackerel Dempsey succeeds in his desire to become one?
- Ahab is the only morally decent human in the family. Discuss.
- Did you love Forest, or loathe him? How much responsibility do you think he can take for his own actions?
- Did Shelby go too far in trying to protect her family?
- Discuss the significance of the geographically distinctive setting of the Tasman Peninsula.
- Which scene in the book did you find was the most shocking, and why? Which twist the most surprising?
- What do you think is the moral of this story?
- What thematic similarities did you find between The Deep and Kyle Perry’s previous novel, The Bluffs?
The Bluffs author takes us deep into the Tasmanian wilderness.
Track down your reading group to discuss Candice Fox's latest thriller.
A beautiful and uplifting story to share with your reading group.
With IVF treatments, a family trip on the Ghan and some award winning jam, there's plenty to unpack with your reading group.
Take your reading group into the dark, gothic heart of rural Australia.
A classic whodunit for the most perceptive reading groups.
Settle in for a memorable reading group discussion, with Barack Obama’s long-awaited memoirs: A Promised Land.
An electrifying and propulsive pick for your next book club meeting.
The bestselling author discusses tapping back into Jack's world, twisty-turny stories and her favourite crime dramas.
Lee Child and younger brother Andrew have collaborated for the first time on The Sentinel and Jack Reacher fans are in for a treat.
Three rising stars of crime fiction are teaming up for a series of virtual events in 2020.
The Either Side of Midnight author on comedy vs crime, writing advice and pointy things near eyeballs.