Find out how to speed up audiobooks to read more in less time.
If you want to squeeze more reading into your life – who doesn’t? – then audiobooks are the way to go.
Not only do audiobooks allow you to read while doing other daily activities like cleaning, cooking, and driving, but you can also speed them up to get the most out of your reading time.
While it’s certainly not for everyone, many people enjoy listening to audiobooks on 1.5x or 2x the normal speed. If you already enjoy listening to fast-paced talk shows or podcasts, you won’t have any trouble keeping up, and you’ll be surprised how quickly one book flies by.
Wondering how to do it? Read on for instructions.
How to speed up audiobooks on different platforms
To speed up an audiobook on Apple Books:
- Play a book in the Apple Books app
- Tap the playback speed in the lower-left corner to change the speed
To speed up an audiobook on Audible:
- Tap on a title in the Audible app to play it
- Tap the 1.0x speed, then select the desired speed
- Note: you can’t adjust speed on audiobooks that have been synced via iTunes. However, you can work around it by listening on the Apple Music app.
To speed up an audiobook on Google Play:
- Open the Google Play app and tap the audiobook you’d like to listen to in your library
- Tap the playback speed (set at 1x) to adjust it
To speed up an audiobook on Kobo:
- Select the title you’d like to listen to in the Kobo app
- Tap 1.0x at the top of the screen to select your desired speed
To speed up an audiobook on Libby:
- Borrow an audiobook in the Libby app and download it
- Open the audiobook and click ‘play’
- Click on the clock in the upper-right corner to change the speed, or drag down on the icon to select a specific speed
To speed up an audiobook on Borrowbox:
- Borrow a book, and download the entire book or select chapters
- Open the book to listen to it
- In the bottom-left corner, click on ‘1.0x speed’ to select different speed options
Slowing down audiobooks
Speeding up books is great, but what about when you want to slow down?
Whether you need to re-listen to a plot twist in your favourite fiction novel or scrawl down some notes from a self-help book, sometimes it’s necessary to slow down an audiobook to make sure you don’t miss anything.
To slow down an audiobook, follow the same steps listed above but select a slower speed rather than a faster one.
Ready to listen? Check out some of the best-selling audiobooks to get you started.
Want to try something new? These popular audiobooks from different genres will help you explore new subjects and themes while listening. You might just discover an unexpected favourite!
Five-star-rated audiobooks to get you started.
If you've worn out your favourite song perhaps it's time to switch to an audiobook that matches the mood of your best-loved banger.
The perfect way to listen and learn!
The author of The Lost Love Song discusses knitting stories into her scarves, gloves and sweaters.
Fill your home with the sound of audiobooks; fill your mind with fresh conversations.
Five other things you can do while listening to audiobooks at home.
Navigate new storylines on your summer getaway.
The Australian actress on the daunting task of narrating The Living Sea of Waking Dreams audiobook for Booker Prize winning author (and family friend) Richard Flanagan.
We are excited to announce that Jeff Kinney's entire Wimpy Kid series is available for the first time in audiobook format.
Check out some of the best koala books. These delightful picture books are full of koala stories, celebrating the beloved Australian animal.
See some of the best non-fiction books of 2022 so far, as well as more great titles coming this year.