Discover the strength of the human spirit with your book club in Judy Nunn’s Sanctuary.
How far would you go to find home? In Judy Nunn’s latest compelling novel, compassion meets bigotry, hatred meets love, and ultimately despair meets hope on the windswept shores of Australia. Here are some discussion points to get conversation flowing at your book club.
Discussion points and questions:
- Judy Nunn has described Sanctuary as, ‘by no means a “romantic” novel, but it is probably the strongest love story I’ve written. Love is the essence of the book.’ Discuss this statement as it relates to the different characters, both on the island and the mainland.
- How do the refugees use their skills and attributes as individuals to help the group as a whole?
- Discuss the way in which Shoalhaven is a mirror reflecting the desires and fears of Australians in general.
- Discuss little Hamid’s journey from innocence to a maturity beyond his years in the novel.
- The group are referred to by some as ‘refugees’ and others as ‘illegal immigrants’. In what ways does the novel seek to show the real people behind the labels.
- Torn between obeying the law and supporting his son, David states: ‘I will not lie.’ What would you have done in his position?
- Were you surprised by the novel’s ending? How did it make you feel?
Impress your book club with a 1940s themed party to discuss Khaki Town by Judy Nunn.
Transport your book club to Queensland during World War II with Judy Nunn’s exciting new novel, Khaki Town.
Judy Nunn offers insights into the creation of her book Sanctuary.
Australian authors and personalities read some of our favourite picture books.
The Khaki Town author answers our questions about bringing wartime Townsville to life.
A magnificent literary pick for book club.
An exciting new thriller from the author of The Girl on the Train to discuss with your book club.
Get your very own book club off the ground with these tips from The Wattle Island Book Club author.
An uplifting Australian drama from rural midwife and bestselling author Fiona McArthur.
A story filled with courage, passion and hope to share with your reading group.
A desert highway. A remote town. A murder that won’t stay hidden.
A timely and uplifting story about the importance of community and connection from much-loved author Barbara Hannay.