How do you stack up against Lee Child’s renegade hero?
Could you keep up with Jack Reacher? We put together 20 rules of Reacher, embracing the code of conduct of this kick-ass character, so you can learn from the best, and see how you measure up. These are the rules he lives by, and so should any other renegade hero for justice.
HOPE FOR THE BEST AND PLAN FOR THE WORST
1. In bars and restaurants, sit with your back to the wall to avoid being surprised from behind.
2. Go to bed fully clothed, so you’re always ready for action.
3. Keep all exits in view.
4. Hit early, hit hard.
5. Always have a coin in your pocket. You never know when you’ll need it to remove license plates.
LIVE OFF THE GRID
6. On the road, don’t pack anything more than a toothbrush (preferably a folding one) and an expired passport.
7. Use an alias when checking into motels. Past American presidents generally work well.
8. Don’t use a credit card. Use cash.
9. Never use a smartphone with GPS. It will give away your location.
10. Soak or rinse dirty clothes and place under the mattress to press. Or just buy a new set.
11. Always travel by road. You won’t need ID and you can pay with cash.
12. Eat when you can. You never know when you’ll next get the chance.
13. Always eat a perfect breakfast: Pancakes, egg on top, bacon on the side, plenty of syrup. Plenty of coffee.
14. Sleep when you can and as much as you can. Tiredness causes more foul-ups than carelessness and stupidity put together.
15. To set your own broken nose, smack yourself firmly in the face with the heel of your hand.
16. Use duct tape to keep a broken nose in place or to patch up a knife wound.
17. A courageous guy is someone who feels the fear but conquers it.
18. Take things exactly as they come, for exactly what they are.
19. Know when to get mad, and know when to count to ten before you get mad.
20. If in doubt, say nothing.
An exclusive Lee Child short story to celebrate the release of No Middle Name.
Lee Child and younger brother Andrew have collaborated for the first time on The Sentinel and Jack Reacher fans are in for a treat.
An in-depth discussion between Lee Child and George Martin in Santa Fe, New Mexico, November 2018.
Everybody is raving about Reese Witherspoon's book club — here are the reasons for its success.
Grab a box of tissues because these books are sure to get the waterworks flowing.
Get excited for the TV adaptation of Taylor Jenkins Reid's bestselling novel.
We all want to buy a gift friends and family will love unwrapping this Christmas. Here are five tips for picking a book they'll want to devour.
Can a life without luxury actually be the richest of all?
It's time to let your favourite bookshop know you love them. Here are some simple ways you can celebrate Love Your Bookshop Day.
If you've worn out your favourite song perhaps it's time to switch to an audiobook that matches the mood of your best-loved banger.
Our top five books to read after bingeing the first season.
As year 12 students prepare for their exams, author of Atomic Habits, James Clear, has some simple tips that could help.