We are thrilled to announce the shortlisted authors for the inaugural Penguin Random House Australia Literary Prize, launched in July 2017.
The aim of the Prize, supported by Leading Edge Books, is to find, nurture and develop new Australian authors writing in the areas of literary fiction and non-fiction.
The six shortlisted authors were selected from a pool of 409 submissions, with the judging panel comprised of Penguin Random House Australia staff and Leading Edge Books representatives.
The shortlisted authors are:
- Andrea Gillum, novel, The Road Out of Town (Victoria)
- Gary Bryson, novel, Thin Air (New South Wales)
- Stephen Gray, novel, The Family Plot (Victoria)
- Kathryn Hind, novel, Hitch (Australian Capital Territory)
- Alice Bishop, stories, A Constant Hum (Victoria)
- Ellena Savage, lyric essays, Blueberries (Victoria)
Max Shirley, from Maclean’s Booksellers, commented that the shortlisted candidates work was “outstanding and would be easily hand sold by any Australian bookseller”.
“The judges were all very impressed with the quality of the submissions received, making it a difficult decision to choose just six. This is a fantastic situation to be in with such an overwhelming response,” said Ben Ball, Publishing Director Penguin Random House Literary.
The winner, to be announced on Friday 9 February 2018, will be awarded $20,000 and an ongoing relationship with Penguin Random House Australia.