Submitting an adult manuscript
Submissions for adult manuscripts are currently closed. We will reopen submissions from 8 January 2024. Please see below for more details.
Submit only via email
We do not accept hardcopy submissions.
Submit at the right time
Submissions for adult manuscripts are currently closed. Please do not submit your manuscript until submissions reopen in January 2024. We will not be able to consider any manuscripts submitted before then. From January 2024 we will consider manuscripts submitted in the first week of every month only.
What we don’t publish
We can't accept plays/scripts, individual short stories, poetry or educational textbooks.
All submissions must be no larger than 3Mb and must include the following:
Attach 50 to 100 pages of your manuscript, double-spaced, as a Word document or a PDF. Please don’t send the entire manuscript. Please do not send your manuscript more than once, even if you have revised it since it was first submitted. We accept submissions from ANZ territories only.
Include the title of your work, whether it's fiction or non-fiction, and the genre (e.g. The Lost Codex: Fiction/Thriller).
Please include in the body of your email:
- Your name
- Contact details including phone number and address
- Word count of the work
- Brief summary (no more than 200 words)
- Brief author bio (two or three sentences)
- Details of any previous publishing history and/or writing awards you’ve received
- Details of where your book would sit in the marketplace (comparison titles, similar authors, intended audience)
- An indication of whether the manuscript has been sent to other publishers
- An indication of whether you’ve previously submitted a proposal to Penguin Random House (if so, give details)
Submitted manuscripts will be considered by members of the editorial, sales, and marketing and publicity teams. Submissions are treated as confidential material.
Due to the large volume of query emails we receive, we are unable to respond to submissions that are unsuccessful. If we are interested in your manuscript you will be advised in writing when your submission has been assessed. If you do not receive a response from us within four months please assume your submission is unsuccessful.
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide feedback on unsuccessful submissions.