The 8 Skills that Separate People who Perform From Those Who Don't
The bestselling co-author of Execution examines the essential skills that make good managers into great leaders.
In this ground-breaking new book, Ram Charan, co-author of the bestselling Execution, redefines leadership by focusing on eight specific practical skills that, if mastered, are guaranteed to bring success.
1. Positioning – formulating a clear central idea that chimes with your customers' desires and allows the business to be profitable.
2. Detecting patterns – recognising key variables that may create barriers to growth.
3. Managing the social system – influencing the workplace environment so that people can pull together and make the right decisions at the right time.
4. Selecting (and deselecting) people – spotting talent, and making the change when the fit isn't right.
5. Leading your management team – trusting, and inspiring, an effective team of managers.
6. Setting goals – deciding what the business can achieve.
7. Setting priorities – assessing the actions that need to be taken in order to meet your goals.
8. Dealing with external parties – making sure that outside power groups beyond your control do not affect your business unduly.
“Praise for Execution: 'A great practitioner and an insightful theorist join forces to write a compelling business story of 'how to get it done"”
“Bossidy and Charan offer good advice on a neglected topic, making Execution a smart business leader's guide to enacting success”
“If Charan declares that something matters, the chances are that it really does. This new book is a down-to-earth account of what it takes to be an effective leader today.”
Stefan Stern, The Financial Times