A captivating novel about love, sacrifice, secrets and resilience that's perfect for book club.
Set in Poland on the eve of the Second World War, Secrets My Father Kept is the gripping story of a young woman determined to uncover the truth behind her mother’s disappearance and the dark secret from her father's past. Use the questions below to get the conversation started at your next book club meeting.
Discussion points and questions:
- Rachel Givney has described Secrets My Father Kept as a feminist fairytale. What do you think she means by this? And what fairytale elements are there in the story?
- Why is Marie so determined to find her mother? What is she really searching for?
- When you first read that Marie wanted to convert to Judaism, what were your thoughts? Did she understand the risk she was taking? Was she being romantic or reckless?
- ‘People only see what they want to see.’ How true do you think this is, both in life and in the context of the story?
- Was Dominik right to keep the secret(s) he did? And was what he calls his ‘questionable deed’ worth it?
- What did you think about Dominik and Johnny’s friendship? Do you think Johnny guessed the secret by the end?
- What response did you have to the opposition Marie faces to her dream of becoming a doctor?
- Why do you think the author chose to end the novel on the day World War II begins?
- At the end of the story, war is at their doorstep and everything is changing. What do you think Dominik does next?
- Compare what Ben says about being unable to change his religion with the decision Helena has to make.
- What are the similarities and differences between Dominik and Marie?
We sat down with the Jane in Love author to chat all things Austen, 1800s England, and artists with disastrous romantic lives.
A magnificent literary pick for book club.
An exciting new thriller from the author of The Girl on the Train to discuss with your book club.
Get your very own book club off the ground with these tips from The Wattle Island Book Club author.
An uplifting Australian drama from rural midwife and bestselling author Fiona McArthur.
A story filled with courage, passion and hope to share with your reading group.
A desert highway. A remote town. A murder that won’t stay hidden.
The shortlist for the 2021 Booker Prize has been announced, with four Penguin Random House novels named.
Two authors — who are also dads — share their tips on how fathers can get a moment to themselves.
Show them you know them by picking a book that perfectly matches your dad.
There is one act that will help lift your mood in just minutes as we prepare to enter the new spring season.
Celebrate the 75th anniversary of Penguin Classics with a quiz to test your knowledge!