A captivating novel about love, sacrifice, secrets and resilience that's perfect for book club.
Set in Poland on the eve of the Second World War, Secrets My Father Kept is the gripping story of a young woman determined to uncover the truth behind her mother’s disappearance and the dark secret from her father's past. Use the questions below to get the conversation started at your next book club meeting.
Discussion points and questions:
- Rachel Givney has described Secrets My Father Kept as a feminist fairytale. What do you think she means by this? And what fairytale elements are there in the story?
- Why is Marie so determined to find her mother? What is she really searching for?
- When you first read that Marie wanted to convert to Judaism, what were your thoughts? Did she understand the risk she was taking? Was she being romantic or reckless?
- ‘People only see what they want to see.’ How true do you think this is, both in life and in the context of the story?
- Was Dominik right to keep the secret(s) he did? And was what he calls his ‘questionable deed’ worth it?
- What did you think about Dominik and Johnny’s friendship? Do you think Johnny guessed the secret by the end?
- What response did you have to the opposition Marie faces to her dream of becoming a doctor?
- Why do you think the author chose to end the novel on the day World War II begins?
- At the end of the story, war is at their doorstep and everything is changing. What do you think Dominik does next?
- Compare what Ben says about being unable to change his religion with the decision Helena has to make.
- What are the similarities and differences between Dominik and Marie?
We sat down with the Jane in Love author to chat all things Austen, 1800s England, and artists with disastrous romantic lives.
We're excited to announce four of our authors have made it to the shortlist.
Cooper Not Out author Justin Smith chats to audiobook narrator Matt Day about his delightfully uplifting Australian novel.
Congratulations to our five authors who have been longlisted for the awards.
To celebrate 40 years of Tim Winton's publishing career, we are re-releasing 18 of his titles with all new book covers.
The author of the much-loved series offers a behind-the-scenes look at how she creates her eye-catching book covers.
Five students get detention, only four leave alive. How far would you go to protect your secrets?
A list of page turners we recommend you read this year.
It's third time lucky for Damon Galgut, who won the Booker Prize after being shortlisted twice before.
Everybody is raving about Reese Witherspoon's book club — here are the reasons for its success.
Grab a box of tissues because these books are sure to get the waterworks flowing.
We all want to buy a gift friends and family will love unwrapping this Christmas. Here are five tips for picking a book they'll want to devour.