Bring your book club together for lively debate about the true meaning of ‘for better or worse’ – both in marriage and in friendship.
It’s 1930, and as the Depression overtakes rural New South Wales, what it means to be a wife tests the four respectable ladies of Prospect to their very limit. Four Respectable Ladies Seek the Meaning of Wife is the latest hilarious and heart-warming novel from Barbara Toner.
Discussion points and questions:
- Why might each of the four ladies ask themselves the question posed in the title?
- What might their answers be at a) the beginning of the book and b) the end?
- Has the meaning of wife changed since 1930 – if not, why not and if so, how?
- Do the ladies’ existing or potential partners have a view of what they think their wives should be? How does this affect each lady’s behaviour?
- Has how and why we marry changed since 1930? If so, for better or worse?
- How do the ladies’ views of marriage (and wifely obligations) differ from each other?
- Is Larry Murdoch more romantic than villainous?
- Why is the meaning of wife central to the plot?
Book clubs will love Barbara Toner’s charming, witty novel set in post-WWI New South Wales.
Barbara Toner introduces the ladies of Prospect, Adelaide Nightingale, Pearl Fletcher, Louisa Worthington and Maggie Albright.
A beautiful and uplifting story to share with your reading group.
Gather your book club and find out why everyone is talking about The Last Migration.
Explore the cycles of love, loss and regret, that can follow a family through the years, with your reading group.
Journey to the English Cotswolds with your book club in the latest heartwarming family drama from Josephine Moon.
Cut loose like an octogenarian with Lisa Ireland’s heart-warming romp.
Transport your book club to 1860s Australia, with Tom Keneally's The Dickens Boy.
Chew over some of life’s big questions with James Bradley’s timely thriller, Ghost Species.
Kathy Lette’s Husband Replacement Therapy is a perfect spontaneous reading group choice.
Introducing: The Huddle – an online book club to connect you with authors and fellow readers.
Explore themes of obsession, reconciliation and revenge with your book club.