Discuss the themes of motherhood and parental rights in Child of Mine with your book club.
Spanning three decades, Janita Cunnington’s Child of Mine is a deeply resonant novel about a maternal tug-of-love and the little girl caught in the middle.
Discussion points and questions:
- Why is the dying Vera distressed by the sweet peas Maggie brings her?
- The lattice doors of the Hill Street cottage are mentioned at various points throughout the story. Why are they important?
- The story is told from two contrasting points of view — Maggie’s and Donna’s — and its driving force is their rivalry over the child. How does Maggie’s relationship with the child evolve? How does Donna’s?
- Who is in the right, Maggie or Donna?
- Maggie and Phyllis are very different characters. What do they have in common that would account for their friendship?
- In what way are the minor characters — Gwen Trimmer, her son Lance and Spencer — important to the story?
- Why do Maggie and Flora quarrel when they meet again?
- What lesson does Donna have for Maggie in the end?
A magnificent literary pick for book club.
An exciting new thriller from the author of The Girl on the Train to discuss with your book club.
Get your very own book club off the ground with these tips from The Wattle Island Book Club author.
An uplifting Australian drama from rural midwife and bestselling author Fiona McArthur.
A story filled with courage, passion and hope to share with your reading group.
A desert highway. A remote town. A murder that won’t stay hidden.
A timely and uplifting story about the importance of community and connection from much-loved author Barbara Hannay.
Part thriller, part redemptive love story, and sure to be a crowd-pleaser at your next book club meeting.
Ponder whether one life is worth more than another with Fiona McIntosh's latest thriller.
This heart-stopping thriller set on the rugged coast of Tasmania is an excellent choice for book club.
An award-winning pick for your next book club meeting.
A (Penguin Literary Prize) winning pick for book club.