Get to know James Patterson’s New York detective.
Name: Michael Bennett
Height: 190.5 centimetres
Weighs: 90 kilograms
Located: New York City
Michael Bennett lives with his ten adopted kids whom he cares for with the help of a nanny, Mary Catherine, and his grandfather Seamus. Bennett’s wife, Maeve, died of cancer in December 2007. Since her death, he has remained single but recently started dating again, finding an attraction to FBI Agent Emily Parker.
Bennett began his law enforcement career in the Bronx’s 49th precinct. He then transferred to the NYPD’s Hostage Negotiation Team before moving to the Manhattan North Homicide Squad. He’s currently a detective and goes by the mantra ‘discover the truth at all costs’.
Timeline of the first five cases in the series:
- Step On A Crack: After the death of a beloved former First Lady, the most powerful people in the world gather in New York for her funeral. Then the inconceivable occurs. Billionaires, politicians, and superstars of every kind are suddenly trapped in one man's brilliant and ruthless scenario.
- Run for Your Life: A man, who calls himself ‘the Teacher’, intent on exacting revenge, embarks on the worst killing spree New York has ever seen. Detective Michael Bennett is put to the test as ‘the Teacher’ leads him on a terrifying chase that brings danger perilously close to home.
- Worst Case: The son of one of New York's wealthiest families is being held hostage but this kidnapper isn't demanding money. Instead, he quizzes his prisoner, and wrong answers are fatal. The FBI send their top Abduction Specialist, Agent Emily Parker, in to assist Bennett and his work and love life suddenly get even more complicated.
- Tick Tock: Bennett is called in when an undetonated bomb in one of New York's busiest places turns out to be a warning of greater devastation to come. Another horrifying crime leads Bennett to a shocking discovery that exposes the killer's pattern – and the earth-shattering enormity of his plan.
- I, Michael Bennett: A South American crime lord has brought New York the worst lawlessness and violence the city has ever seen. The danger isn't only coming from the crime lord's killers - FBI Agent Emily Parker is back, and Bennett's attraction to her endangers his relationship with Mary Catherine (his kids’ nanny).
The shortlist for the 2021 Booker Prize has been announced, with four Penguin Random House novels named.
Hugh van Cuylenburg was being interviewed on a national radio station when he surprised himself with an admission.
Light-emitting Mushrooms and the High Priestess of Soul; The song behind The What On Earth Institute of Wonder.
Two authors — who are also dads — share their tips on how fathers can get a moment to themselves.
Reading offers us entertainment and a quick escape from reality, but did you know about these other hidden health benefits?
Show them you know them by picking a book that perfectly matches your dad.
Take our quiz to discover which books match your dad's personality so you can buy the perfect Father's Day gift.
The top tips for sprucing your bookshelf during the annual spring clean.
There is one act that will help lift your mood in just minutes as we prepare to enter the new spring season.
Celebrate the 75th anniversary of Penguin Classics with a quiz to test your knowledge!
Get Book Week ready with Zoë Foster Blake
The most popular fantasy books on TikTok right now.