Get to know James Patterson’s New York detective.
Name: Michael Bennett
Height: 190.5 centimetres
Weighs: 90 kilograms
Located: New York City
Michael Bennett lives with his ten adopted kids whom he cares for with the help of a nanny, Mary Catherine, and his grandfather Seamus. Bennett’s wife, Maeve, died of cancer in December 2007. Since her death, he has remained single but recently started dating again, finding an attraction to FBI Agent Emily Parker.
Bennett began his law enforcement career in the Bronx’s 49th precinct. He then transferred to the NYPD’s Hostage Negotiation Team before moving to the Manhattan North Homicide Squad. He’s currently a detective and goes by the mantra ‘discover the truth at all costs’.
Timeline of the first five cases in the series:
- Step On A Crack: After the death of a beloved former First Lady, the most powerful people in the world gather in New York for her funeral. Then the inconceivable occurs. Billionaires, politicians, and superstars of every kind are suddenly trapped in one man's brilliant and ruthless scenario.
- Run for Your Life: A man, who calls himself ‘the Teacher’, intent on exacting revenge, embarks on the worst killing spree New York has ever seen. Detective Michael Bennett is put to the test as ‘the Teacher’ leads him on a terrifying chase that brings danger perilously close to home.
- Worst Case: The son of one of New York's wealthiest families is being held hostage but this kidnapper isn't demanding money. Instead, he quizzes his prisoner, and wrong answers are fatal. The FBI send their top Abduction Specialist, Agent Emily Parker, in to assist Bennett and his work and love life suddenly get even more complicated.
- Tick Tock: Bennett is called in when an undetonated bomb in one of New York's busiest places turns out to be a warning of greater devastation to come. Another horrifying crime leads Bennett to a shocking discovery that exposes the killer's pattern – and the earth-shattering enormity of his plan.
- I, Michael Bennett: A South American crime lord has brought New York the worst lawlessness and violence the city has ever seen. The danger isn't only coming from the crime lord's killers - FBI Agent Emily Parker is back, and Bennett's attraction to her endangers his relationship with Mary Catherine (his kids’ nanny).
... and more (including $1000 cash and $500 worth of books)!
Five-star-rated audiobooks to get you started.
If your mum was a cop and your dad was a criminal who needed your help to commit a crime, would you do it to save him?
Bessel Van der Kolk provides some key guidance on how to reclaim your life after trauma in his insightful book, The Body Keeps the Score.
Gripping new stories for ages 8–12.
If you're a fan of contemporary romance with humour and wit, you've probably heard of Emily Henry - find out which of her novels you should pick up with this handy quiz!
The Last Station introduces us to a once-prosperous family facing ruin and a paddle-steamer captain clinging to a dying world.
Celebrate the anniversary of The Great Gatsby by putting your knowledge to the test with our newest quiz!
Four friends experience something supernatural, something terrifying, in the wood one summer.
International bestselling author Karen M. McManus is known for her high school thrillers
For most of us, energy peaks and troughs throughout the day are something we accept as part of life – but what if it didn’t have to be that way?
The Cunninghams don't really get along, and every one of them has killed someone. Meet the family to help you find the culprit.