Things you may not have known about Animalia creator Graeme Base.
- He has two Bengal Cats called Stella and Atticus. Stella is spotty like a leopard; Atticus is marbled like an ocelot.
- He has a secret way of crushing plastic milk cartons so they take up the least room possible in the recycling bin.
- He has a strange fascination with quantum physics and astronomy and puts himself to sleep at night by reading New Scientist magazine.
- He is a keen but so far unknown inventor of games, musical instruments and household appliances including a new kind of vacuum cleaner and a baby-stroller.
- He learnt clarinet in school and later played alto sax and keyboards in a band called Rikitikitavi. His now-wife Robyn was the lead singer.
- He has written several musicals based on his books including The Sign of the Seahorse, Gooligulch, The Worst Band in the Universe and Jungle Drums. They have all been performed but not nearly enough!
- He has a nifty way of winding guitar leads and garden hoses so they don't get tangled and curly when they are unwound.
- He has visited 40 of the 50 United States of America and all seven continents, and dislikes airport terminals more than he can adequately express.
- He has recently rediscovered several big boxes full of old sketches and drawings that have never been published and has decided to start an Instagram post with a new drawing every day – or maybe every second day... we shall see!
- He has sold over 4 million books in Australia.
True works of art.
The shortlist for the 2021 Booker Prize has been announced, with four Penguin Random House novels named.
Hugh van Cuylenburg was being interviewed on a national radio station when he surprised himself with an admission.
Light-emitting Mushrooms and the High Priestess of Soul; The song behind The What On Earth Institute of Wonder.
Two authors — who are also dads — share their tips on how fathers can get a moment to themselves.
Reading offers us entertainment and a quick escape from reality, but did you know about these other hidden health benefits?
Show them you know them by picking a book that perfectly matches your dad.
Take our quiz to discover which books match your dad's personality so you can buy the perfect Father's Day gift.
The top tips for sprucing your bookshelf during the annual spring clean.
There is one act that will help lift your mood in just minutes as we prepare to enter the new spring season.
Celebrate the 75th anniversary of Penguin Classics with a quiz to test your knowledge!
Get Book Week ready with Zoë Foster Blake