Old loves, new loves, warm toast and rich traditions are all part of the delicious blend of this absorbing story.
Reading Group Questions
1. In what ways does Adrienne evolve throughout the story?
2. Do you think the secret behind Adrienne’s origins unconsciously shaped her life?
3. How could the situation between Isabelle and Rosanna have been resolved?
4. Should Jack have held his ground and not co-operated with the plan?
5. Why was Joe the right man for Adrienne at this point in her life?
6. How important was the time period in the story of Isabelle, Rosanna and Jack? How did it play into the outcome?
7. Was Isabelle mercenary in her actions or a victim of circumstance?
8. Did Jack fail Franco or was it simply a result of their cultural differences?
9. Was Lauren uncaring to leave the country when Adrienne was in trouble?
10. Should Adrienne have sold the farm and tried to rebuild her career?
11. Was Joy Oldfield wrong to keep the secret of Adrienne’s birth for so long?
12. What thematic comparisons, if any, can be drawn between this and the author’s later novel The French Perfumer?