A classic whodunit for the most perceptive reading groups.
Elizabeth, Joyce, Ibrahim and Ron might be pushing 80, but they still have a few tricks up their sleeves to solve the puzzle behind the demise of a local property developer. If our unorthodox but brilliant gang can catch the killer before it’s too late, there’s no reason your book club buddies shouldn’t be able to do the same. Here are some questions to separate the rookies from the sleuths.
Discussion points and questions:
- Who do you like best: Joyce, Elizabeth, Ibrahim or Ron? Why?
- Joyce was a nurse, Elizabeth was in the secret service, Ibrahim was a psychiatrist and Ron was a trade union leader. Who do you think was most helpful in solving the crime?
- Did you think that PC Donna De Freitas and DCI Chris Hudson made a good team? What did one bring that the other lacked, and vice versa?
- Joyce says ‘I am very happy to be overlooked and always have been. And I do think perhaps that will be helpful in this investigation.’ Do you agree?
- As Val McDermid said, at the heart of this book is a ‘warning never to underestimate the elderly’. Who misjudges the residents of Cooper’s Chase the most?
- Who did you think the killer was? What made you think it was them?
- One of the recurring themes is the grey area between the law and each character’s moral code. Do you think Penny’s husband, John, did the right thing? How about Penny?
Done binging the latest TV sensation? Pick up a book and keep the good times rolling.
A glitteringly dark and unsettling debut that's perfect for book club.
A magnificent literary pick for book club.
An exciting new thriller from the author of The Girl on the Train to discuss with your book club.
Everybody is raving about Reese Witherspoon's book club — here are the reasons for its success.
Grab a box of tissues because these books are sure to get the waterworks flowing.
We all want to buy a gift friends and family will love unwrapping this Christmas. Here are five tips for picking a book they'll want to devour.
Can a life without luxury actually be the richest of all?
It's time to let your favourite bookshop know you love them. Here are some simple ways you can celebrate Love Your Bookshop Day.
If you've worn out your favourite song perhaps it's time to switch to an audiobook that matches the mood of your best-loved banger.
The shortlist for the 2021 Booker Prize has been announced, with four Penguin Random House novels named.
Two authors — who are also dads — share their tips on how fathers can get a moment to themselves.