Transport your reading group to our not-too-distant future.
In Homo Deus, Yuval Noah Harari envisions a near future in which we face a new set of challenges. He probes the projects, dreams and nightmares that will shape our century and beyond.
So, what are your hopes, dreams and fears for tomorrow’s world? Explore this question and more, and take your book club on an adventure like no other.
Discussion points and questions:
- Do you agree with Harari that storytelling intelligence is what makes us the strongest animal on the planet? What else distinguishes us from other animals?
- The job market has changed rapidly over the last ten-to-fifteen years, with the growth of the ‘gig economy’, a decrease in ‘careers for life’ and some becoming automated. How do you think jobs will continue to change over the next twenty years?
- Which groups in society will benefit more or less from the automation revolution, and which countries and areas of the world might profit most?
- After reading ‘The Time Bomb in the Laboratory’ chapter and Harari’s thesis on free will: do you agree with his thesis that freedom is a ‘hollow term’ and that ‘free will exists only in the imaginary stories we humans have invented’? Is ‘feeling’ free the same as ‘being’ free?
- What chapter of the book resonated with you most (and why)?
- What scares you about the future Harari explores?
- What do you find exciting about the future Harari explores?
Challenge your reading group to consider the biggest questions of our times.
Take your reading group on a journey of self-discovery.
Yuval Noah Harari contemplates the importance of today’s education in tomorrow’s world.
Sweep your book club off to Malaysia with this spellbinding novel of war and family betrayal.
A classic whodunit for the most perceptive reading groups.
Settle in for a memorable reading group discussion, with Barack Obama’s long-awaited memoirs: A Promised Land.
These friends think they know everything about one another, but time has a way of making us strangers to those we love...
Sweep your book club off to the sun-kissed vineyards of rural France.
Your reading group will adore this family drama from much-loved author Monica McInerney.
Take your book club on a journey of self-discovery, with Glennon Doyle’s famed Untamed.
Reading group discussion questions for ages 12+.
Gather your book club and get ready to gossip about the inhabitants of Spinifex.