Here’s everything you need to know about The Starless Sea, the spellbinding new novel from Erin Morgenstern.
1. The wait is finally over. Fans of The Night Circus have been waiting seven years to see what Erin Morgenstern will write next, the wait is nearly over with the publication of The Starless Sea on 5th November 2019.
2. It’s the perfect read for booklovers. The Starless Sea is all about the power of stories. It begins with the main character, Zachary, finding a story from his own childhood in a strange old book and uncovering a series of clues that lead him to a hidden subterranean library.
3. And gamers will love it too! Erin Morgenstern was inspired by RPGs (role playing games) when writing The Starless Sea. Keen-eyed readers will notice references to the video games Skyrim, Bioshock and Dragon Age: Inquisition in the novel.
4. Books within books. The novel is divided into six ‘books’ named after fictional stories read by the characters, such as Sweet Sorrows, Fortunes and Fables and The Ballad of Simon and Eleanor.
5. A glimpse at Erin Morgenstern’s bookshelf. The real books mentioned in The Starless Sea give a clue to Erin’s influences when writing the book. They include The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (a gothic mystery), the Harry Potter series (magical fantasy), The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler (detective thriller) and The Princess Bride by William Goldman (fantasy love story).
The most popular fantasy books on TikTok right now.
Are you an Acolyte, a Guardian or a Keeper? Take this quiz to find out!
The author of the international bestselling novel, The Night Circus returns in 2019 with a magical, timeless and wholly original love story set in a secret underground world.
The Emporium of Imagination author on the power of magical realism.
The author of City of Lies discusses revisiting Silasta and exploring the traumas and triumphs of her characters in the sequel.
In March we revisited Gabriel Garcia Márquez’s ageless 1967 masterpiece, One Hundred Years of Solitude.
Chew over some of life’s big questions with James Bradley’s timely thriller, Ghost Species.
Jacqueline Harvey and Kate Isobel Scott have teamed up after nearly 30 years to create their first picture book together.
Add these to your TBR!
Cooper Not Out author Justin Smith chats to audiobook narrator Matt Day about his delightfully uplifting Australian novel.
These books debunk diet myths and teach you how to eat well for happiness and health.
Do you want to save money or change a habit? We have five books that will empower you to achieve your goals in 2022.