The Narrow Road to the Deep North – an inspired reading group selection.
Winner of the 2014 Man Booker Prize, The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan is a novel of the cruelty of war, the tenuousness of life and the impossibility of love. Here are some reading group questions to help make your next book club discussion one to remember.
Reading Group Questions
- The Narrow Road to the Deep North has been described by Richard Flanagan as a dance in and out of the light. For all its darkness, how is this a book about hope?
- ‘Love is two bodies with one soul,’ we and Dorrigo read on the novel’s final page. Do you think about love differently having read The Narrow Road to the Deep North?
- Dorrigo Evans is a study in contrasts. What sort of character do you find him?
- The Narrow Road to the Deep North is in part a novel about memory. How does the book explore different notions of memory?
- Discuss the many portraits of individuals in the act of survival – both prisoners and guards – on the Thai–Burma death railway.
- In a confronting, often savage novel, there are many moments of humour. What does this humour say about humanity?
- How does Shisui’s death poem of a circle – a symbol of oblivion, eternity and eternal return – echo the novel’s larger themes?
- What does the chapter in which Dorrigo and Amy, after twenty-five years of separation and thinking each other dead, walk past each other on the Sydney Harbour Bridge say about love?
- And what would you do?
Ponder whether one life is worth more than another with Fiona McIntosh's latest thriller.
This heart-stopping thriller set on the rugged coast of Tasmania is an excellent choice for book club.
An award-winning pick for your next book club meeting.
A (Penguin Literary Prize) winning pick for book club.
A captivating novel about love, sacrifice, secrets and resilience that's perfect for book club.
What could drive a mother to do the unthinkable?
A pick for book club that's warm, witty and wise.
Track down your reading group to discuss Candice Fox's latest thriller.
A beautiful and uplifting story to share with your reading group.
Book club discussion questions and teaching resources.
With IVF treatments, a family trip on the Ghan and some award winning jam, there's plenty to unpack with your reading group.
Take your reading group into the dark, gothic heart of rural Australia.