Sweep your book club off to Malaysia with this spellbinding novel of war and family betrayal.
What happens when secrets fester through the generations? What happened to Durga's mother after she gave birth? Why did so many of their family members disappear during the war? And who is to blame for the childhood tragedy that haunts Durga? Ponder these questions as you read Catherine Menon's Fragile Monsters, then use the discussion points below to get the conversation started.
Discussion points and questions:
- The characters in Fragile Monsters are captivating but often behave very badly. Did the characters’ bad behaviour, these ‘fragile monsters’, make the novel more or less compelling?
- How do you think the author manages to draw out the reader’s sympathy for her characters?
- Malaysia in the Second World War is a fascinating and vital part of 20th century history. What effect did the real historical backdrop have on your reading of the novel?
- The landscape is so richly evoked in Fragile Monsters. What part do you think the heat, the floods, the mud play in the novel?
- What did you think happened in the end (no spoilers!)?
A glitteringly dark and unsettling debut that's perfect for book club.
A magnificent literary pick for book club.
An exciting new thriller from the author of The Girl on the Train to discuss with your book club.
Everybody is raving about Reese Witherspoon's book club — here are the reasons for its success.
Grab a box of tissues because these books are sure to get the waterworks flowing.
We all want to buy a gift friends and family will love unwrapping this Christmas. Here are five tips for picking a book they'll want to devour.
Can a life without luxury actually be the richest of all?
It's time to let your favourite bookshop know you love them. Here are some simple ways you can celebrate Love Your Bookshop Day.
If you've worn out your favourite song perhaps it's time to switch to an audiobook that matches the mood of your best-loved banger.
The shortlist for the 2021 Booker Prize has been announced, with four Penguin Random House novels named.
Two authors — who are also dads — share their tips on how fathers can get a moment to themselves.
Show them you know them by picking a book that perfectly matches your dad.