Handy illustrated pocket version of the bestselling HOW TO READ A CHURCH.
Churches and cathedrals are visited by millions of tourists as well as worshippers each year. But many people do not realise that church buildings are packed with images, symbols and meanings that often need explanation. This handy guide will unlock all the treasures they contain. The stunning colour photographs show the very best in church architecture - from paintings, fonts and altars, to pew ends, choir stalls and stained glass windows, and the accessible text talks you through the significance of church features. It includes sections on:
- The basics: imagery, themes and history
- Church architecture, inside and out
- Symbols, colours and words
- Representations of God, Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary
- Recognising Saints and Angels
- Scenes from the Old Testament.
It is the ultimate reference for anybody who wants to know more about what they see in a church or cathedral from the significance of church layouts, the symbolism of key scenes and the importance of small details.